Along the charming inner roads of North Goa, between Mapusa and Aldona, nestles Moira – one of the four heritage villages of Goa. In its winding lanes lie many an old abandoned villa, draped with creepers, studded with trees, exuding nostalgia and lyrical mourning for its long gone Portuguese owners.
We found such a house – not in utter disrepair, but with jarring modern additions. Ensconced amid jackfruit, chikoo and sangwan trees, BirdSong was built in 1804, more than 200 years ago. A beautiful Portuguese bungalow of pillared verandas and high roofs, gardens and pools, it offers the rare delights of inner Goa, away from the usual hustle of beaches and markets. After four years of loving restoration, BirdSong is our warm and gorgeous home let out to discerning travellers.
NOOKS AND CRANNIES
Watch the villagers idle past or the kingfishers eat up our fish in the lily pool or catch a flash of the golden oriole or the strut of the magpie robin.
The L-shaped pool is the happy heart of BirdSong, its short arm perfect for small children.
Tucked away above the bar, next to the swimming pool, are the steam room and the massage room. Relax and sweat away the toxins.
Go for a night stroll along the mysteriously silent village lanes or take a leisurely pedal during the day.
(16th Mar to 30th Sep)
(1st Oct to 22nd Dec & 4th Jan to 15th Mar)
(23rd Dec to 3rd Jan)
Rs.8,200/- (per dbl)
Rs.12,500/- (per dbl)
|Villa (16 Pax)||
Taxes Extra as Applicable
- Complimentary breakfast in the dining hall.
- Tea / coffee maker in the room along with daily replenishments.
- Complimentary accommodation for 2 children below 6 years in the same room (w/o extra bed).
- Reservations cancelled / amended 30 days prior to check-in shall be exempt from cancellation charges.
- One night stay on pro-rata basis shall be levied for cancellation / amendment received up to 15 days prior to check-in.
- There shall be no refunds for “no shows” , “early check-outs” or cancellations made less than 15 days prior to the check-in date.
- Check-in time is 1400 Hours & check-out time is 1100 Hours.
- Early check-In & late check-out is subject to availability of rooms and on paying the applicable charges.
Terms & Services
- The villa comes with 4 excellent staff. In case the entire villa is booked; guests can discuss menus for each day with the cook.
- Pre-set meal options are available for individual guests at an additional cost.
- The staff can organize local cabs at an hour’s notice for trips to the beaches (20 to 40 minutes away) towns or local markets.
- There is a steam room and a massage room – the staff can work the steam room for you. A nominal charge of Rs.400/- is requested for its use.
- A masseur/masseuse can be booked by appointment if notice is given in time, especially during season.
- Guests are requested to adhere to village etiquette and minimize noise levels after 10 pm.
- Taxes extra as applicable
- 100% advance payment at the time of booking.
- Confirmation of booking is subject to availability of rooms/villa and receipt of advance payment.
- All the above terms and conditions including the rates are subject to change without notice.
The six air-conditioned suites at BirdSong are distinctly stunning. They open on to lush trees, and sweet bird song floats in through the day. We also give out the entire villa. This is ideal for large groups (10 -16 people), parties, reunions, celebrations etc.(All suite charges are on double occupancy. In case the entire Villa is booked, 16 people may occupy it.)
At the very heart of the house, this stone floor room envelopes you in its cool embrace. A large bed rises up from the floor in a monolithic look that is an architectural delight. A spiral staircase leads up to a loft, complete with a double bed, that overlooks the lawn and the swimming pool. A private ante-room and an outdoor shower are the other elements that add to Caraway’s charm. Sleeps four adults easily.
Just off the front veranda, this is a secluded, peaceful room with an enchanting loft that never fails to delight the kids. A beautiful outdoor shower open to the elements, shaded by tall Sal trees that will enthral all nature lovers. The room is equipped with a flat screen television, though we doubt you will choose to stay in! Can sleep 4 people easily – two on the master bed and two on the loft. Perfect for a family.
Snuggled in the centre of the homestead, this room is like a self-sufficient little apartment, with a bunk bed for kids, a study table to work on, and old American winged chairs beneath Indian religious iconography. The bathroom has different levels, with a tree growing through it. A little courtyard leads out into the side garden, which hosts an assortment of birdlife through the day.
Dark, cool, mysterious, with comfy old sofas to sink into and a family bed to rest on. The room seamlessly blends into the bathroom, which boasts a splash bathing area and windows that look up to tree-tops. Pepper opens on to the front veranda and leads into the old side garden that has been untouched for decades.
The warm glow of this room lifts your mood as soon as you enter it. From the comfortable sitting area, step-down to the bedroom that houses a beautiful built-in bed snuggled against the red laterite walls. The room is delightfully located, opening up at one end onto the quadrangle of lawn and pool, and at the other, onto a courtyard that leads you into the side garden.
A comfortable corner room nearest to the bar lounge and the pool, Clove is the obvious favourite of the more gregarious. Sunshine filters in from cubby hole windows into the cool interiors of the bedroom. There is a bay window bed for kids in the sitting room, along with a flat screen television. With its majestic laterite walls and glass-walled bathroom, this a fabulous combination of the old and the modern.
OUR PATRONS SPEAK
[booking type=1 form_type=’standard’ nummonths=1 startmonth=’2014-01′]
House no -497,
Goa 403507, India
Phone no: +91-9810307012
Drop us a text on the above number and we will call you back.
M-130, 1st Floor,
Greater Kailash Part – II,
New Delhi – 110048
Phone no: +91-9810307012
Need more details? Give us a call! We will be happy to assist you in making your stay at BirdSong perfect.